Based on the letters of Earl Philip Reinhalter (1922-1953). Edited by his son, Earl Philip Reinhalter (1950-).

<- PREVIOUS LETTER April 16, 1943
Hunter Field, Savannah, Georgia

April 16, 1943
Hello Ma:
      Well, nothing much of great importance has happened here since the last letter. Monday, I took a physical examination for warrant officer. Boy, was it tough. It was even more thorough than the one I took when I enlisted. My teeth are still perfect and my heart is O.K., too, so said the major who examined me. My eyesight will not disqualify me from applying for warrant officer. Tuesday morning, I had to go back again to have my pulse beat rechecked. It was too rapid the first day. This time they let me lie down for about 15 minutes before checking. It was found normal this time. I still don't know whether I passed the physical exam yet. It will take about a week before the x-ray, blood test, and other reports are in. If I should pass, I'll have to start studying. The examining board will meet May 4th. I only hope that we don't move from this base before that date. I don't know what would happen in that case.

      Yesterday, Mrs. Roussey sent me a package of eats similar to the one which you sent me. Incidentally, yours is not all gone yet. The price on hers read $1.59 [$23.75 in 2020 dollars - Ed.]. I'll have to write her a thank-you letter soon. I wonder how Fred likes the Army so far. Probably doesn't like those inoculation needles very much. I am again supposed to go on the "line" soon.

      At noon Wednesday, about one half of my squadron, me included, again went to the firing range for target shooting. I drove my jeep going and again coming back. We left the range at about 2:30 Thursday afternoon. We covered a distance of 144 miles altogether. While there, I shot a score of 138 out of a possible 200. This time we shot model 1903 Springfield rifles. The distance of the target is 200 yards. I am supposed to get some kind of a medal to wear on my chest. Wednesday night out on the range, hardly anyone managed to sleep. It was altogether too cold and damp. I didn't pitch my pup tent but stayed inside of a "carryall" which came with us on the trip. This is an enclosed automobile. I tried from 9:30 P.M. until 3:00 A.M. the next morning to go to sleep, but my feet were too cold. Back at Hunter Field, some of the boys who even were inside of the barracks, it is said, had trouble sleeping. So, at three o'clock that morning, I got up and stayed next to a bonfire until breakfast at 6:30. At about 4:00 A.M. that same morning, we had a gas raid. Those who had managed to get to sleep and who then did not hear the raid alarm woke up coughing. They didn't know at first that it was tear gas, but it didn't take them very long to realize it and get their masks on. The next morning, one boy couldn't move the toes on one foot for a while. I had summer and winter underwear, two shirts, and a jacket on. As the range is surrounded by swamps, this caused it to be plenty damp, besides being cold. Today, I washed and greased my jeep. Tell Phus that I received her letter last week. I haven't been in to Savannah for over a week and a half. Last week, I received another Martin Star [a magazine published by his former civilian employer, the Glenn L. Martin Company - Ed.] in addition to the one which you sent. It was from the Martin company. Probably Mr. Wheeler had something to do with this. Ma, I received your letter and other envelope containing clippings. Well, Ma, that's just about all that I can think of just now; so, until sometime later -


The Kindle book includes the letters; all 23 issues of the unit’s wartime newsletter “The Squadron Pulse,” which was originally edited by Leonard Stringfield; all 12 issues of the “Pennant Parade” newsletter that Stringfield published while sailing home after the war; complete text of the U.S. government booklet “Pocket Guide to Australia,” which soldiers heading Down Under were given to read; more than 200 photos; pre-war and postwar family history; and over 700 explanatory endnotes.


This page established: November 11, 2018             Last updated: February 23, 2023

© 2018-2023 Earl P. Reinhalter. All Rights Reserved.